Does FreeNAS 8 support APC UPS devices?

Discussion in 'New to FreeNAS?' started by gcurtis, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Offline

gcurtis

Message Count:
    gcurtis, Jan 21, 2013

Title basically sums it up: Does FreeNAS 8 support APC UPS devices and if so, how do I go about configuring and using it?

Thanks,
    Gary
  2. Offline

JaimieV FreeNAS Aware

Message Count:
    JaimieV, Jan 21, 2013

It does. You'll need the appropriate cable (and ports on the FreeNAS box if it's ye olde serial!), then follow the manual.

One 'feature' to note - the UI has a bug where the driver dropdown box falls back to the top entry, so don't worry about an incorrect display, it'll still use the driver you selected.
  3. Offline

cyberjock Forum Guard Dog/Admin

Message Count:
    cyberjock, Jan 21, 2013

So I'll give you the short and dirty. I have seen 3 APC UPS devices work perfectly with FreeNAS. However, different models may not work as you'd hope. My advice if you own it already is to start experimenting with it. If you don't own one then I'd recommend you search the forums and find someone that says theirs works and buy that model. Technically FreeBSD(and FreeNAS) only support commercial and industrial grade UPSes, but ALOT of the communications between the UPS and computer for the ones you buy at the store are identical and work.

The APC next to me that I'm using is a Pro 1500 Back-UPS and I'm 99% sure it worked when I experimented with with FreeNAS.

Hope this helps. :)
  4. Offline

gcurtis

Message Count:
    gcurtis, Jan 21, 2013

Understood. But where in the FreeNAS web-based control panel do I find the configuration UI? I have looked and don't see anything. Does the configuration UI not appear until the UPS is attached to the server via USB port and then detected by the OS? In other words, will I only see a configuration UI appear after the system detects that a UPS is attached?

Gary
  5. Offline

JaimieV FreeNAS Aware

Message Count:
  6. Offline

paleoN FreeNAS Guru

Message Count:
    paleoN, Jan 21, 2013

What's more UPS support is done via NUT.