Help regarding TV-Server & FreeNAS

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Nindustries, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Offline

Nindustries FreeNAS Aware

Message Count:
    Student
    Home page:
    Nindustries, Aug 10, 2013

Hello there!

I will need a FreeNAS server, TV Server and htpc(s). I will try to spindown the disks as often as possible using a seperate drive for the plugins. The TV Server can go to sleep mode and Wake On Lan, but Freenas can't. I'm still figuring out wether I will use tvHeadEnd or MediaPortal TV Server.
    Now I have the following cases;
    • TV-Server as a plugin in FreeNAS, FreeNAS never powers down leaving up to two devices running when watching TV.
    • TV-Server seperate from FREENAS, leaving up to three devices running when watching TV.
    • TV-Server & Client on one htpc, leaving up to 2 devices running when watching TV. Main HTPC will have to turn on (WOL) when other htpc want to watch TV, leaving min. 3 devices running.
    So I was wondering.. has anyone ever tried running tvHeadEnd in a FreeNAS Jail?

Greetings
  2. Offline

pirateghost Unintelligible Geek

Message Count:
    Instrumentation Engineer
    pirateghost, Aug 10, 2013

mediaportal TV-Server?
    Isn't that a piece of mediaportal? which is windows only? Not sure you could run that as a plugin at all.

as for running either of those in a jail, your jail would need direct access to the hardware (tv tuner) in order to work. as far as i know, nobody has gotten a 100% working setup within FreeNAS or the jail system for TV Tuner cards (i know there was some talk a while back about it on the forums)

personally, save the headache:
    run your TV server/tvHeadend on a 'main' htpc, completely separate from FreeNAS
  3. Offline

BAlGaInTl

Message Count:
    BAlGaInTl, Nov 18, 2013

I actually came here looking for the same info...

It seems like it could be possible to run tvheadend with a network tuner card like the silicondust hdhomerun. I was hoping that someone had already created something.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Student
    Home page:
    Nindustries, Nov 18, 2013

In freenas, very difficult.. im going to try to setup ESXi and pci passthrough the tuner card.. else i'll have to use a seperate server.

- Sent from mobile.
  5. Offline

jyavenard FreeNAS Aware

Message Count:
    jyavenard, Dec 1, 2013

hardware TV tuner support in FreeBSD is virtually non-existent.

Most of the digital tuners available these days (be it DVB or ATSC) only come with windows or linux support (via V4L: Video for Linux).

Even using ESXi; my experience is that pci passthrough doesn't work consistently well. It will for some, it completely won't for others: so it's not a path you want to follow.

What you should use instead are networked tuners like an HD HomeRun (short HDHR) from Silicon Dust:
    http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/dvbt/

they have single, dual and quad-tuners (that last one is very expensive). Single and dual tuner version are available for both US (ATSC) and the rest of the world (DVB) and aren't much more expensive than PCIe or PCI digital tuners.

It works well and is supported by MythTV (www.mythtv.org) which is arguably the best PVR application available on unix (linux or freebsd).
    That's for the server.

You can install it using the FreeBSD ports
    instructions there: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_non-PBI_Software#Compiling_FreeBSD_Ports_with_make
    basically you do:

in the configuration screen that will show up, check mysql
    (if you have a nvidia graphic card, check VDPAU and make sure you run nvidia official drivers)
    then
    For the mythtv client (called frontend), solutions are available on most platforms out there: mac, linux, *BSD, Windows ; or as a plugin for xbmc.

you'll get more help on the mythtv user list , IRC (#mythtv-users) or using the web site: www.mythtv.org

Hope that helps.

JY
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Student
    Home page:
    Nindustries, Jan 22, 2014

I just realised it would be perfectly possible if you put a FreeBSD install in a jail. That way, MythTV/whatever can profit from the full FreeBSD V4l drivers.
    That should work theoretically. FreeBSD (& linux sorta) can be put in jails. You can give access to /dev/<object> into the jail
  7. Offline

jyavenard FreeNAS Aware

Message Count:
    jyavenard, Jan 22, 2014

What FreeBSD v4l drivers?

The l in v4l stands for Linux for a reason :p
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Student
    Home page:
    Nindustries, Jan 22, 2014

Woops, noticed that too :D I'm fairly new to this stuff, was reading up about it.
    For example, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 would work in FreeBSD due to webcamd.
    https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

I'll just better wait until jailed linux behaves nicely, to get a dual/quad tuner card working.

EDIT: This should work in theory; use webcamd from the ports tree to access multiple PCTV DVB-S2 Sticks and use oscam for the decryption of the channels, alongside a Smargo cardreader. Edit devfs to allow the jail to work with the USB device. The sticks can be powered from a powered usb hub. (USB 3.0 for the hub connector could come in handy here, but as USB 3.0 gives problems in freenas..)