One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by sully, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Offline

sully Newbie

Message Count:
    IT
    sully, Nov 6, 2012

I woke up to a mess this morning... Last night, I was transferring about 1TB worth of data from one FreeNAS box to another FreeNAS box within my local home LAN. This morning when I checked the status of the transfer, I was blasted with numerous "SMART error (FailedOpenDevice) detected on host" emails.

I checked the zpool status, here's the screenshot (via an iPad, inroute to work). I tried restarting the box and unfortunately I now cannot SSH into the box, for whatever reason.

[​IMG]

Here are my questions.

1) What's the likelihood that 4x relatively brand (4 months old) new WD 2TB Greens would fail suddenly?
    2) I'm using a eVGA 780i SLI mobo, which has two SATA buses, 2 port bus and a 4 port bus, is it possible that the 4 port sata bus failed and is dead? Reason behind my theory is that 2x drives are online and 4x are offline, make sense? (picture of the mobo im using below).

[​IMG]

I'll be able to confirm question 2 tonight when I can access the box and identify the drives, however, any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Sully
  2. Offline

cyberjock Forum Guard Dog/Admin

Message Count:
    cyberjock, Nov 6, 2012

Its unlikely that all 4 drives would fail at the same time. Does the SMART messages specifically call out 4 hard drives or just one? If it's calling out 4 hard drives as bad I'd think its an issue with the motherboard controller. You seem to have a grasp of what is likely going on. I'm thinking motherboard controller is failing/failed.